Pregnancy is an exciting time in your life but can come with its challenges for your body. Lower back pain, pelvic pain, bladder leakage are all common problems for many women during pregnancy. Here at Fountain Gate Physiotherapy, our physiotherapists are able to treat and manage a variety of pregnancy related musculoskeletal conditions.
- it can help to prevent muscle and joint injuries
- optimise your recovery following the birth
- able to assist with treating pregnancy specific conditions such as Sacroiliac Joint pain, pelvic instability, back pain, carpal tunnel
- manage joint and muscles changes as you progress through the trimesters
- advice on managing diastasis or separation of the abdominal muscles that can occur during pregnancy.
What can happen?
Due to the hormonal changes that occur and of course the increasing weight of the baby you are at risk of developing a variety of issues. These can range from pains that last only for the duration of the pregnancy to pains that can continue following the birth.
Therefore, by seeing a physiotherapist early and beginning appropriate exercises you can help to prevent or reduce these pains.
Problems that you may face include:
- Pelvic girdle pain including sacroiliac joint pain (SIJ)
- Urinary leakage because of pelvic floor dysfunction
- Pelvic Organ Prolapse due to weakening or overstretching
- Neck, mid back and rib pain
- Lower back pain
- Abdominal muscle separation
- Mastitis or Blocked Milk Ducts
- Plantar fasciitis, carpal tunnel syndrome
How can physiotherapy help?
Your physiotherapist has a number of different treatment options including soft and deep tissue massage, joint mobilisations, dry needling, provision of braces or supports, strengthening and stretching exercises, taping, education on posture and lifting and clinical pilates.
These techniques combine to help:
- increase abdominal and pelvic floor strength
- improve flexibility and posture
- increase muscle strength
- reduce incontinence and pelvic floor discomfort